Originally posted 12/4/2014, updated 12/8/2021
As the end of 2021 approaches a little introspection is in order.
As a business owner, some of your fundamental roles include:
- setting goals
- interviewing and hiring
How are you doing so far this year regarding your time in these areas? Ask yourself a few questions:
- have you invested adequate, quality time planning the future of your business?
- have you invested adequate time coaching and developing your team (or having it done)?
- are you on target for all your management and self-improvement goals?
- have you been able to manage your attitudes consistently regardless of what was happening around you?
- did you see change as your partner and embrace it…or has it become your adversary?
- Will you be leaving any unfinished business behind as you move into next year?
- have you been communicating your goals, strategies, plans, and objectives clearly to your team?
- have you handled all your team member’s challenges successfully, and in a compassionate and timely manner?
- have you set clear goals for the rest of the year, for next year, for three to five years in the future?
- are you in touch with the realities within your organization and your marketplace?
- if you could, would you reverse or change any of the significant decisions you made during the 2021?
- if you could begin this year over again, what is one thing you would do differently?
- Is your business prepared to be sold even if you are not currently planning to sell, should an offer be presented to you?
A critical skill necessary for success as an owner is the ability to honestly evaluate your:
- personal development progress
Work on expanding this list. Set a target of 50 more questions that will help you get a better handle on your organization and yourself.
You might think this is a little over the top, however engaging in self-reflection will position you ahead of your competitors to make 2022 and beyond a successful year.
And that’s worth thinking about…And Acting Upon
Need assistance answering any of these questions? Book an appointment for a Zoom or call here: https://calendly.com/michaelbreitman/15min